Sunday, April 19, 2009

El Colo va a sali campeón ♪

Sunday 4/19. I went to my first soccer game, and it was a South American one, so you know it was crazy, and it was one of the biggest match-ups in Chilean soccer, so you know it was good. One of my Chilean friends told me that it was the “clásico más importante del futbol chileno.” It was Colo-Colo vs. Universidad de Chile, which is sort of like a Ravens vs. Steelers match-up =intense!

So it was me, a couple of exchange students, and some Chilean friends. We took the Metro to the stadium, which is where the madness started. I wish I could have taken my camera with me, but that would have been wayy too risky. So when I got on the Metro, I wondered why there weren’t any U of Chile fans there (we were rooting for Colo Colo cause our Chilean friends were). One of them told me that it was because the U of Chile fans take the bus, so that the two sides don’t clash because if they did, it would break out into all time war. So here we are on the Metro with the Colo Colo fans, and they are going nuts! They are just singing and jumping and literally shaking the Metro car. It was fun, until the Metro doors opened at one stop and the Chilean po-po (Carabineros) came onboard. Ohh snap! They were real pissed, and they had their sticks out, and they were just hitting some of the more rowdy Colo Colo fans, and forcing them off the Metro car, which I thought was a bit stupid cause the fans weren’t doing anything too dangerous. But the funniest part was when I saw the same guys enter the Metro car again from a different door like 5 seconds later. But then the po-po got them at the next stop. Oh man.

So anyway, here we are getting off the Metro, and walking to the stadium and there are a bazillion people. (The commentator later said that there were 40,000 people there). Once again, the two sides were kept separated by the police. To enter the stadium, we had to get into some very disorganized lines, and stand there for a while, although we already had our tickets. And then while we were in line, I felt in my pockets, and bam! my ticket is missing. I know I got pickpocketed, and I know it was my fault cause my ticket was probably sticking out a bit, but still, it sucked. So some very nice Chilean friends got out of the line for me and found a guy who I could buy a ticket off of, for only a little bit more than the first ticket (which was a little less than $20 US, so not bad for a game ticket). When we went back into the massive line, the police were regulating the lines on horseback, using their stupid sticks to hit people into place. Wow tough love from the po-po.

So if things weren’t loco enough, here we are near to the front of the line, and my friend Britta (German) had her ticket in her hand, and as she is talking to me, someone runs up from behind, grabs the ticket out of her hand, and runs off in the crowd. I was stunned because it happened so quick. She was understandably upset because there was no way she could get a new one. But here’s the crazier part, apparenly there were two undercover cops standing behind us in line, and they saw the whole thing!! So they explained to their cops friends at the entrance gate what had happened, and Britta was let in anyway. What luck, eh?!

The actual game itself was massive. Only about three hours long, but so much fun. The fans of the two teams were on opposite ends of the stadium and for the whole game, we were standing up on the bleachers, and they were singing their team’s songs. The whole colo colo game. The energy was unbelievable, and they probably had about 20 different songs. Also some of these songs used some very selective language, which was pretty funny. You just had to get into it though. Another funny part was when playing was momentarily suspended because there was a dog strolling in the middle of the field, but you didn’t see the police trying to hit him off the field..oh no..they just let him take his time. Also, the police had this game under control; they were all over- on the roof, in the stands, everywhere. But anyway, Colo Colo won 3-1 and each goal was momentous and craaazy. At the end of the game, the Colo Colo fans got to leave the field first, once again, to avoid any conflict. The fans of both teams were still chanting the whole time though, although the walk and Metro were much less rowdy on the way back.

So yea, action-packed time at my first soccer game. I loved seeing and feeling the massive amount of energy of the Chilean football (soccer) fans. I also got to experience and feel the effectiveness and authority of the Chilean Carabineros. I have been told that they are the most uncorrupt police force in South America and that they are in charge of training police forces from other Latino countries. For once, I can say that I honestly respect and like the po-po, and I can also say that Chileans definitely know how to have a good time!

3 comments:

  1. Yo some undercover cops. They can't catch the guy either?!?! Must have been some craziness. I'm glad to see you're having a good time though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have that much trouble when i went to a Colo-Colo--U de Chile game, but I was with a chilean who took care of everything (including holding the tickets. And i loved how the UC people were basically in a cage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, the po-po are always around you haha!
    except they sound more caring- u tend to clash w/ the american po-po
    tisk tisk.
    That game sounded intense and so huge. like the quidditch world cup or something (sorry, i just watched the trailer for the next movie)

    ReplyDelete