Sunday, April 19, 2009

¡Buenos amigos y la Pascua!

I can not believe that I only have a little more than 3 months left in Vina…time is moving way too fast..

So since my trip to Pucon, I received a lovely visit from my girl, Jenelle, who is studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I went to Santiago to meet her and Kelsey and we walked around what seemed like the entire city of Santiago, but it was a beautiful day, so whateva, and then we had a delicious pizza dinner with the one and only Dania..crazy good reunion. Needless to say, it was very very nice to be with people who I know well and who know me..I realized that I miss my AU peeps quite a bit..

So then Kelsey went on a journey to Patagonia (jealous!) and Jenelle came with me to Vina for a week. Unfortunately, I really needed to attend class if I had any hope of passing, so I felt bad leaving her alone, but Jenelle is so chill that it’s awesome. We made crepes and FLAN!! (homemade! no actually, from a box). We went to Renaca for the beach and then had a deep convo over lemon cake and caffeinated drinks. yessss. And then we went to Valparaiso, where we had a lovely bus tour (it actually wasn't supposed to be a bus tour, we just got lost), and we went to Pablo Neruda’s house (which was for me the 3rd time, but still good). I wish it had been nicer in Vina while Jenelle was here, but once again, Jenelle is so cool, so it’s all good. I also took her out for a night of revelry- Vina style, and that was fun too. But I think my favorite part was when me and Jenelle went back to Santiago to spend a night at Kelsey’s before J’s flight, and we had a heavenly girls’ night in, consisting of PJs, Chinese food, and ice cream. Yesss. And then Jenelle left for Argentina : (

Soo I actually felt a severe pang of homesickness during Easter weekend. I am pretty sure that this was my first Easter away from home, so that might explain it. All I could think about was how my family would be getting together on Easter, and eating amazing food (which I miss like woah!) and then enjoying each other’s excellent and always entertaining company. So I tried to get over being homesick as well as I could by doing things that I usually do every Easter. On Saturday night, I went to the Easter vigil mass, which was essentially the same as back home, just 3 hours long!! And then I painted about 30 Easter eggs with a couple of peeps. They don’t really do Easter too differently over here, although it is a super Catholic country. The only thing different that I noticed was that people sold chocolate Easter eggs on the street.

So then on Easter Sunday, I felt like I didn’t really need to go to Church again, and I went to a D-licious brunch prepared by Chris (Canadian) and Maria (Lebanese). There were crepes (recurring theme) and muffins and a huge fruit salad…yum! We played a crazy Lebanese Easter egg game, and ate the beautiful eggs. Then I came home, and Easter still wasn’t over, and I felt homesick again, so I decided to cook dinner for my roommates, because they had told me that they were just planning to study all day, and that is a big no-no on Easter (actually I probably needed to study too, but it was Easter, for realll). I made meat for the first time (gasp! I know…I am a bad vegetarian, but it was Easter, for realll). I made lamb cutlets and mashed potatoes (Ok, from a box) and spinach and rice! They loveddd it, and we had a nice roommate bonding convo afterwards, which included talking about how bad we all were as kids, and making fun of the Chinese language (idk..they started it). Success!

This weekend was so much fun, but so unproductive schoolwise. First, we played paintball for Melanie’s (Australian) birthday! It was soo much fun, and sooo painful. It was seriously a 4 hour paintball game, and it was so hot outside. Under all our protective equipment (including the guys’ dick protectors- hehe), it was almost excruciating. But I am very thankful for the equipment because otherwise it would hurt a lot more than it does right now. At first I was afraid to get out from behind the trees and fences, but my team was losing bad, so I was like whatever, and just ran for it, and got shot BAD. I have several huge welts on my legs and arms, and there still might be yellow paint in my hair. But once again, it was great and I can’t wait to do it again. That night, we got together at Mel’s and played Kings all night, which was highly entertaining. I am so glad that I got stuck with such a fun and interesting group of people : ) But I also miss my peeps back home, and I would love an email with summary of your lives, and please feel free to ramble all you want…I won’t mind : D

The next post is going to be about a craaazy soccer game, so it will be a separate post, which I will upload righttt now!

4 comments:

  1. ewww flannnn

    yayyy jenelleeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so cool.
    Paintball sounds sweetttt.
    You have to come visit me. I promise I'll get you Chinese food. And the most amazing ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family didn't do anything for Easter, I was sad. I wanted to paint eggs toooo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 hour mass!!! oh dear, u know i wouldn't survive that...
    we miss u too! every time i call home, los padres are always asking about u.

    ReplyDelete